Katie Anderson

Artist based in South West Scotland; interested in people, places, materials and collaborative practice.

Month: February, 2013

Casting New Objects


Slip cast phone handset


Getting carried away with cup casting…


The first couple of test’s for the phone box project came out of the kiln – now I have some more tangible, physical guide lines – I can really start to figure out the practicalities of wiring the innards of the handsets without ruining the visuals.

The cups may be a waste of time, and a waste of materials, but sometimes wastage feels important in order to make sketches more tangible – and helps get them out of my head! And besides, they feel so lovely to hold that I considered a photo would be better than nought for everyone else.


Cotton wool and wallpaper paste


The bottles are something I’ve been pondering on for a while. It’s taken a while for a material that ‘worked’ for me to become apparent. Cotton wool has become a sort of intermediate, working stage whilst I figure out what to do with all the wool I’ve been collecting off of the barbed fences around about (mad? perhaps..) So hopefully the next step for these will be more exciting and visually interesting. I was quite excited with the level of detail that is attainable (a keen eye may note the brand labelling on the bottle), so there may be more of these to follow! The even more observant may note that I have changed my photo tactics in line with a useful comment last week. Time to find a new appreciation for photographing objects – an old Thomas the Tank engine lamp is coming in useful!

Make Hay (or art) While the Sun Shines

haha! After many hours of importing frustration, exporting frustration and uploading frustration (this was filmed on Sunday…) it’s finally here.
Meet Golf Ball Short 1
I add it is just an initial test run… my assistant made some thing’s a little tricky (note contingency issues with the gloves!) but – it’s a start, and as they say make hay (or art?) while the sun shines.

titles have never really been my thing



Yesterday my packages came.

Today the break through came. Sometimes even simple things take an age. I’ve been trying to get the bottle out whole for two weeks. maybe more. And finally this one has come, pock marked, dimpled, with none of the prestine-ness I originally set out after. It’s exactly what I was aiming for. Although plaster isn’t the final material, more an intermediary stage. Although the plaster I have, when poured right can be quite beautiful. 

The spare plaster from the bottle I poured into a cup. The result is a beautiful interior cup cast (although I should have made more effort at photographing it for this – as always something is lost in the photograph. My objects never make it through the phase from 3D to 2D completely unscathed).



It’s maybe a little Rachel Whiteread, but I have always had a bit of a thing about her work. I remember reading that the first thing she said she had cast was a spoon and feeling delighted as that was the first thing I had cast. I don’t think she cast a strange bone/horn spoon mind you, but nevermind! This is the original spoon (one of a set of five), and this is the cast spoon. I always meant to remake it a little better but that is for another day I guess.    



Light bulb Site





Site hunting for an place to install my light bulbs. I’ve been meaning to go here for ages – finally got round to going and it was just as I had imagined. Excellent. Now to get the test pieces through the kiln and when they (hopefully) work out just fine – I can start to think about the final install.